Monday, August 30, 2010

Peaches and Gunpowder

Peaches and Gunpowder

Travel across forgotten lines
As the monster digs in its claws
Wonderful in spite of everything
A hurried stiletto
Into your ear
The blood laughs despite itself
And you still miss the tears of the dead
The crossing of a border
To refuse a guest
A morbid element of opening
They all open wide
And you, a dying ember
Before all living witness
Struggle over it all
Eviscerated to the bone
Break it open and suck out the marrow
Exposed as a pile of worms
Locked inside without a key
There never is a key
We never find it
I wonder if it ever really existed
When I was a small boy,
I heard stories of its existence
They are nightmares now
This is not a home
It is a dungeon
I cannot leave
My chains are self-made
I love them more than life itself
I only look outside my window
I watch life and it watches me
No other bond to measure against
Asking about the bruises
They always ask in a quite voice
And their eyes cast down
The ground pigments of life
Like some haggard saint
Some smoothing and trimming of the edges
Fading from twilight to night
No more bright eyes for enthusiasm
Not a mystery, but a romance

No comments:

Post a Comment