Saturday, September 19, 2009

church bell

Church Bell

I make my home up in the old steeple
It is there that I sing out,
I sing out for the entire town to hear
At midnight on Christmas Eve
When snow covers the rooftops,
Like a warm and heavy blanket
Keeping you safe from the chill

From this perch I watch the workings,
Of the day as it passes by me
Quick to notice the tip of a hat
Kind gesture to a stranger
Hand stretched out to those,
Who need help along the way

Foggy dreams pressed to memory
Children that have grown
Toys, broken and forgotten
Smoke that escapes the chimney
Faded rose pressed between pages

Now my old eyes see betrayal
Sons of man who lie, cheat, and steal
Dignity slain on the altar of profit
More and more grows the desire
My heart longs for yesterday

2007

No comments:

Post a Comment